Hey everybody; Guess what day it is? How bout you, Jason? Can you tell us what day it is? Is it really Friday The 13th already? Okay, let’s do something different: today is Friday, so this can technically be counted as a Friday Fun Fact; so what better film to talk about than the one with the same title as today’s date: Friday The 13th. If you’re a fan of slashers, You probably love the entire Friday The 13th library – even if they got a little over the top after a while or maybe you’re just curious about how the movie got it’s title. Either way, Unlike most Friday Fun Facts where I only post a few pieces of trivia, today we’re talking 13 things that you [probably] didn’t know about Friday The 13th – as a franchise.
In case you haven’t seen the movies, and you’re worried you might get confused later, here’s the list of the Friday The 13th movies – in order. Think you’ve got it? Okay when you’re ready, let’s begin! [this is gonna be a long one]
- Friday The 13th
- Friday The 13th Part II
- Friday The 13th Part III
- Friday The 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
- Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning
- Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
- Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
- Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
- Friday The 13th Part IX: Jason Goes To Hell
- Friday The 13th Part X: Jason X
- Friday The 13th Part XI: Freddy VS. Jason
- Friday The 13th Part XII: the remake
 Jason’s name was originally Josh:
According to the original script for the movie, Jason’s name was planned to be Josh. If things had worked out the way Director Sean Cunningham had initially expected, the name Josh Voorhees would have quickly been forgotten. [which was the plan all along] Cunningham didn’t plan for sequels, let alone so many, and besides – in the first film, “Josh Voorhees” wasn’t even the real killer! At least this saved us from getting a movie known to the world as “Freddy VS Josh,” am I right?
 Freddy Krueger almost ‘attacked’ Jason earlier:
In 1987, if things had gone as they were planned, one of The Nightmare On Elm Street films was supposed to include a flashback scene showing Fred Krueger as a counselor working at Camp Crystal Lake. Fred was going to be shown molesting a young Jason Voorhees, which would therefore add more to the sympathy for Jason that tends to be something we, as horror fans, feel for him.
 13 different actors played Jason Voorhees:
- Friday The 13th – Ari Lehman as the boy who jumped out of the water at the end
- Friday The 13th Part II – Steve Daskawisz played the murderous Jason with the sack on his head
- Friday The 13th Part II – Warrington Gillette played the unmasked Jason near the end of the film
- Friday The 13th Part III – Richard Brooker plays Jason, and becomes the first man to wear the iconic hockey mask
- Friday The 13th Part IV – Jason was played by stuntman Ted White
- Friday The 13th Part V – Wait, the killer wasn’t Jason in this film. He wasn’t in this movie, was he? He was actually; in a few flashback scenes where he was played by Tom Morga
- Friday The 13th Part VI – C. J. Graham reprises his infamous night club impersonation of Jason for this movie
- Friday The 13th Part VII – This film marks the first appearance of Kane Hodder as Jason, a role he would hold for three more movies in the franchise
- Friday The 13th Part VIII – Tim Mirkovich plays Jason after he was reverted to a boy by the toxic waste bath.
- Friday The 13th Part XI – Ken Kirzinger stars as Jason for most of the Freddy vs. Jason action
- Friday The 13th Part XI – Stuntman Glenn Ennis stands in for Ken Kirzinger for some of the more physically difficult portions of Freddy VS. Jason
- Friday The 13th Part XII – In the remake film, Caleb Guss portrays Jason as a little boy..
- Friday The 13th Part XII – Derek Mears performs the role of adult/murderous Jason throughout most of the film.
 Camp Crystal Lake is a boy scout camp:
This one is more well known but for those of you who didn’t, the filming location for Camp Crystal Lake is Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco – a Boy Scout camp near Blairstown, New Jersey. The camp still serves as an active Boy Scout camp to this day.
 Jason was going to wear an umpire’s mask:
Until the umpire mask was dropped because of the time it would take to create the visible portion of Jason’s deformed face beneath the mask. Instead, a hockey mask was used because it covers the entire face – no makeup required! Good thing too, cause that hockey mask is just so damn iconic.
 Several ‘Parts’ do not take place on Friday The 13th:
With a movie series like this one, it’s easy to assume each and every movie takes place on Friday the 13th, but that’s not exactly the case. Friday The 13th and Friday The 13th Part II both take place on Friday the 13th. However, Part III takes place immediately after the end of Part II and continues through to Saturday [the 14th] and Sunday – the 15th. Part IV begins immediately after Part III, which means it begins on Sunday the 15th and mostly takes place on Monday the 16th. In Part VI, one of the deputies says that the date is Friday the 13th…I hope I didn’t lose you there, I pretty much lost myself for a second as well!
 Jason’s Mother only showed up for a new car:
Betsy Palmer, who played Jason’s mother, only agreed to appear in the original Friday The 13th because she needed to buy a new car. Already a movie and television personality, Betsy Palmer didn’t just appear back in the 1970’s. When Betsy’s agent offered her the role of Pamela Voorhees, Betsy’s first thought was to reject the offer. Luckily for us, her car broke down and a new one was going to cost her around $10,000 – which, evened out as that was the exact amount she was offered for the honor of getting her head chopped off by the character of Alice.
 Camp Crystal Lake is rarely the setting:
Quickly. Right off the top of your head: what movie setting do you think of when you think “Friday The 13th”? I’m betting you said “Camp Crystal Lake,” didn’t you? Well, you’d be wrong [for the most part] because if you watch and think about it, very few of the movies take place at the infamous death camp.
Of course, the first film in the series takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, but it’s not until Jason Lives that we finally return to Camp Blood. That, and the remake from 2009.
 The forever lasting hockey mask:
It’s a rare thing in movies to carry the same prop forward from one movie to the next, yet that’s exactly what happened with Jason’s hockey mask from Part III through VI. Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me!
 an actor from the movies was also in the TV series:
Remember this guy? It’s older Tommy Jarvis from Part V! Oddly enough, after all the movies were finished, he appeared in the Friday The 13th TV show as a constable in the episode titled: “The Baron’s Bride”. [see him in the show here]
 Freddy Krueger appears in two Friday films:
Although technically one of these films is a spin-off, [Freddy VS. Jason] Freddy also appeared at the end of one of his own films – snatching away the mask, dragging it to Hell!
 Kane Hodder played Jason, Krueger, and a victim:
Did you know there was an actor that played Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and a victim of Jason‘s all in one movie? Seriously: Kane Hodder, mostly known for his portrayal of Jason in Parts VII through to X, also played both Freddy Krueger [the gloved hand, in as seen above – in 11] and an unnamed security guard who gets slaughtered by Jason.
 Jason seems to prefer Blondes:
As a movie with this many sequels will tell you, it’s worth dyeing your hair and putting on a dress if Jason is killing everyone around you. Almost every ‘final girl’ in the Friday franchise has been blonde or some deviation. Don’t believe me? Here’s the list of [blonde] survivors:
- Friday The 13th – Alice Hardy [well, it was kind of a blondish brown hair color, but still!]
- Friday The 13th Part II – Ginny Field
- Friday The 13th Part III – Chris Higgins [her hair is more brown than blonde, but at least it’s a light brown]
- Friday The 13th Part IV – Trish Jarvis
- Friday The 13th Part V – Pam Roberts [it wasn’t Jason doing the killing, but she was still blonde]
- Friday The 13th Part VI – Megan Garris
- Friday The 13th Part VII – Tina Shepard
- Friday The 13th Part IX – Jessica Kimble
- Friday The 13th Part XI – Lori Campbell
Needless to say, if you’ve made it this far, you’ve done quite well for yourself! This is arguably my longest post yet, and I swear they won’t be this long all the time. I just figured why not mention 13 things for Friday The 13th? Even if these movies got extremely cheesy over time, they’re still some of the greatest slashers in the history of 80s films.
Though, I still stand that Freddy won the battle – just saying – I hope by the end of this [very long] Friday Fun Fact, you learned a thing or two about our masked monster who truthfully – isn’t really a monster at all: Just misunderstood. What was your favorite piece of trivia? Did you know Jason had an infatuation with Blondes? Perhaps this means that they really do have more fun?
THANKS FOR READING.